Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Putting it out there

While researching for an assignment the other day I came across a quote from New York Times Best-Selling Author Bill Clegg (his advice for aspiring writers), "Write!! And then write more. And keep it to yourself for as long as you can before sharing with others." 

It made me wonder--am I doing something wrong? 

When I write I cannot wait to share it with others (after I've written and revisited and reviewed, of course.)

I write for people.

I want what I say to make a difference in someone's day. I write to put a smile on his face, to put an idea on her mind.

Knowing that people will read what I've written is exciting. Putting it out there in the world is like breaking off a little piece of my mind and sharing it, like bread at the communion table. 

Should I be mulling over every word and phrase, agonizing over each syllable, crying over my laptop? 

Sure, writing is a process. But it doesn't always have to be a laborious, tedious process. 

Writing should be fun. It should bring joy both to the writer and the reader.

Why should I sweat over every minute detail? 

Will anyone actually care that I didn't spend the last ten years perfecting this blog post?

Writers everywhere--its time to end our suffering. 

Write what you want, when you want, how you want. And share it. 


Love,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. I relate to this. Ultimately, the release is the most important part. Neil Gaiman talked about art as something that is never finished but only let go and released to the world. Same goes with writing. I say don't agonize, just make sure you're able to confidently attach your name to it, and then release it to the world.
    Don't sweat it, just keep going. But look back too. There's a reason why I've been aimlessly rambling on the internet these past few years - develop a voice and keep the momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to this. Ultimately, the release is the most important part. Neil Gaiman talked about art as something that is never finished but only let go and released to the world. Same goes with writing. I say don't agonize, just make sure you're able to confidently attach your name to it, and then release it to the world.
    Don't sweat it, just keep going. But look back too. There's a reason why I've been aimlessly rambling on the internet these past few years - develop a voice and keep the momentum.

    ReplyDelete