Wednesday, November 4, 2015

It's about the journey (or something like that)

“We’re consolidating,” my father announced grimly at the dinner table one dark October night.

At the age of nine I had no idea what that word meant, let alone why it had my mother on the verge of tears.

My father’s company in Scotia, NY. was moving in with its Pittsburgh counterpart—and we would be moving with it.

I couldn’t imagine leaving behind my friends, my family, my home. I had a great life. I was in the 4th grade, I was a Girl Scout, and I had just started dance classes at a local studio.

It didn’t really cross my mind that the reason I had all of these great things was due to my father’s job. The house we loved, the cars my parents drove me to school in…we really owed it all to my father. He was the provider and we would follow him where his work led.

Just nine months later we were packing our lives into the U-Haul and kissing everyone we knew goodbye.

Very few of my father’s co-workers wanted to uproot their lives, so the few who made the trek to Pittsburgh were rewarded. If we moved at the beginning of June my father would not only get a promotion, but also a pay raise.

We moved so fast I never even got to finish 4th grade.

June 1st, 2007 is a day I will never forget. That eight hour car ride was one of the longest days of my life. My family sat in silence, each of us trying to cope with the changes ahead.

I remember sitting in the back of the car with my portable CD player and my Barbie dolls, just hoping that my old friends wouldn’t forget about me, hoping that I would be able to make some new friends, hoping that my mother wouldn’t be unhappy for the rest of her days.

When we finally arrived to our new home in Pennsylvania I didn’t want to be sad anymore. I ran around our new home excitedly, exploring each room and corner. I decided it would be a new adventure. It was a chance to do anything I wanted and I was ready to go.

Looking back eight years later I wouldn’t change a thing about my life. I am the happiest I’ve ever been, I’ve made the most amazing friends, I’ve even fallen in love.

Scotia will always have a special place in my heart, but Pittsburgh is my home now and I wouldn’t have it any other way.


Love,
Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment