Tuesday, December 1, 2015

(Greatly) Extended Family

The holiday season is in full-swing. This is probably my favorite time of year. Sure summer is great, but there's nothing that can quite match the splendor of the holidays.

There's just an excitement that hangs in the air from Thanksgiving until New Year's Day. The holidays are a great time to relax, eat massive amounts of food, and spend time with friends and family.

Family. Something we all have--whether we see them often or not. It seems like on every holiday my social media is flooded with pictures of families eating together, laughing together, simply being together.

And for many years and many holidays that is not something my family has been able to do. Not only is my family very small but we also live extremely far away from each other. It would be ridiculous to expect my elderly grandmother to travel eight hours to come visit. It's often difficult to travel nine hours in the complete opposite direction to visit my aunt and uncle.

With everyone so scattered to the winds I accept the holiday phone calls and the half-empty dinner tables. It's not hard to have a great time with my immediate family but I can't help but wish that for one day we could all be together.

And although nothing can replace my own family I've found that spending time with friends and other people's families can be just as fulfilling. Friends are the family that you get to choose. Good company is good company, blood relation or not.

I am thankful for the life that I have and the people in it, even when it seems we're so far apart. I hope you are too.


Love, 
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment