Broadway 2 A Day: 1960 - 1962 (Camelot, How to Succeed & More)

Hello again! It's March. March is the worst month of the year in my opinion, although this one has been good to us so far (60 degrees today!)

Spring is around the corner and I'm hoping I can start to listen to some of these shows while sitting on my porch or walking through my favorite cemetery instead of just hunched over at my desk.

My current unrelated theatre obsessions of the week are the song Back to Before from Ragtime and Eleri Ward, a talented content creator whose Sondheim covers are the current soundtrack as I write this. Ninety-three shows down, let's go.
  • Tenderloin
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? I didn't love it, but there was some religious satire that I appreciated 
    • Synopsis: Set in New York at the turn-of-the-century, Tenderloin recounts the efforts of a crusading minister as he attempts to shut down the notorious red-light district on the West Side of Manhattan and the staunch defenders of debauchery out to stop him. The 'do-gooder' Reverend Brock is aided by a reporter, Tommy Howatt, with a hidden agenda of his own. Brock is unaware that Tommy, his supposed associate, is in league with a dishonest policeman, Lieutenant Schmidt. The two of them frame Brock with doctored photographs. In a twist, Tommy is converted to religion by a choir girl named Laura. As a result, in court, he admits the truth. A cleanup of the area begins. But Brock doesn't remain to witness the change - he moves his campaign on to Detroit. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Dr. Brock
  • Wildcat
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? I have a great appreciation for Lucille Ball, but no
    • Synopsis: Wildcat “Wildy” Jackson and her sister Janie arrive in Centavo City determined to strike it rich in the oil prospecting business. She manages to acquire a small plot of land and tries to convince the brilliant crew foreman, Joe Dynamite, to work for her. When Joe thinks there is no oil on Wildy’s land and realizes she is just a schemer, he tries to leave her. Infuriated, she convinces the Sheriff to arrest him. She then manages to get Joe released back into her custody and the search for oil resumes. However, when Joe learns that it was Wildy who tipped off the Sheriff, Joe is furious. He tells the crew they are digging a dry well. In desperation, Wildy throws Joe's dynamite into the well. In a knick of time, Joe returns and clears Wildy from the blast area. After he pronounces his love for her, the explosion goes off releasing a Texas-size oil gusher. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Tall Hope
  • Do Re Mi
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? Yes! I listened to the revival with Nathan Lane and it gave me similar vibes to The Producers, which I enjoyed
    • Synopsis: The reformed gangster Hubie Cram is trying to make it big in the juke box and music promotion business. However, when things don't go as planned, gangsters reenter his life causing further troubles to his marriage. The only thing he does succeed at is making a star out of a young singer. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: All Of My Life
  • Camelot
    • Have I heard of it before? Yes, this is one of my favorite classic shows and I listen to the soundtrack pretty often.
    • Did I enjoy it? Yes, it's always nice to come back to a show I already like
    • Synopsis: Camelot opens in the midst of the battle that destroyed King Arthur’s kingdom, and goes back to tell the story of how the battle came to be. The musical follows Arthur from a young, ambitious, idealistic King who dreams of creating a just society to the despairing king bearing witness to his dream’s demise. Arthur’s dream is inspired by his vivacious Queen Guenevere. Together, they create a kingdom where might works at the service of right and the King serves at a round table with no head — a symbol of collaboration and unity. But just as this utopian vision starts to become reality, everything begins to unravel. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: All of them, but if I had to pick - If Ever I Would Leave You
  • The Unsinkable Molly Brown
    • Have I heard of it before? Yes, just references in pop culture 
    • Did I enjoy it? I accidentally put this one on shuffle so it was very confusing and I gave up pretty fast. Even Debbie Reynolds couldn't save this.
    • Synopsis: Before she survived the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912, Margaret “Molly” Brown was already a dominant force to be reckoned with. From humble beginnings outside of Hannibal, Missouri, young Molly Tobin made her way to Leadville, Colorado. With her headstrong charm and never-give-in spunk, Molly convinces local saloon owner Christmas Morgan to give her a job singing and playing piano. While at the Saddle Rock Saloon, Molly meets Johnny “Leadville” Brown. He falls madly in love with her, and will do anything to marry her. But there is just one problem: Molly is determined to land a rich husband in Denver.  (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: I Ain't Down Yet
  • The Happiest Girl in the World
    • Have I heard of it before? Nah
    • Did I enjoy it? Anytime I pick an overture for my favorite song...it's a no
    • Synopsis: The women in ancient Athens have a problem: their men are constantly fighting and at war! Inspired by Diana, the chaste goddess of the moon, the women decide to refuse sexual favors to the men until they have forsaken war. In the end, the Chief of State arrives with the summons to another war. However, it turns out the Spartan women have used the same stratagem as the Athenian girls, and the Spartan men ask for lasting peace. The Athenians agree, and husbands and wives are reunited. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Overture / The Glory That Is Greece
  • Milk and Honey
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? I found it pretty boring - they can't all be winners!
    • Synopsis: Set in Israel, "Milk and Honey" tells the story of an old American visiting his married daughter who finds love with the widow, Ruth Stein. Trouble ensues when it turns out that while separated for many years, Phil is still married. In the end, Phil promises Ruth that he will fly to Paris, where his wife lives, and plead for a divorce. (Stage Agent)
  • How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying
    • Have I heard of it before? Yes, I've seen the 2011 Tony's performance with Daniel Radcliffe a few times and my good friend Carrie was in this show in high school and loved it so I was excited to listen!
    • Did I enjoy it? I think this show is clever and I see why it's been revived more than once. However, if you don't look at it as a satire of Corporate America and the time period for which it was originally written, you will hate it because it's incredibly sexist throughout. 
    • Synopsis: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning musical, is a story about the triumph of the common man amid the buffoonery of big business. When a restless, creative, and ambitious window washer named J. Pierrepont Finch happens upon a book entitled 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying', he decides to begin his rise up the corporate ladder. From the very beginning, Finch has had the love and support of Rosemary, a marriage-minded secretary who recognizes Finch’s potential and finds his innocent demeanor endearing. But in his single-minded pursuit of the top job, Finch is in danger of discounting Rosemary’s love. In a moment of crisis, Finch’s manual to success can no longer help him: he must rely on his own wits, and ultimately, his heart, to save the day. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: How To Succeed 
  • Kean
    • Have I heard of it before? No, and I wish I still hadn't 
    • Did I enjoy it? None of it was enjoyable for me
    • Synopsis: The show concerns the adventures of Sir Edmund Kean, considered the greatest Shakespearean actor of the 18th century. The show focuses mainly on his wild behavior offstage. Trouble ensues as Kean desperately tries to juggle two women in his life: the Danish Ambassador’s wife, Elena, and a young aspiring actress, Anna. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Overture / Penny Plain, Twopence Colored
  • The Gay Life
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? It was actually pretty fun, but it wasn't actually gay so that was disappointing 
    • Synopsis: The Gay Life is the story of a bashful virgin, Liesel, who tries to tame the lady-loving playboy, Anatol Von Huber. In the end, Anatol only decides that he really wants to marry Liesel after she pronounces that she will never marry him. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Who Can? You Can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)