Dorms, diversity, and delight

I love college.

I have met some of the greatest, most interesting people. I have seen amazing, new things. And yes, I've also learned a lot.

I'm living the college experience. And although the classes are (sometimes) interesting and I've grown to really like Ramen and Easy Mac, the people I've met are the best part.

I've met people from all over the country. Dancers, singers, scientists, writers, designers...the list goes on.  I've met biologists that belt Broadway classics at 2 a.m., I've met passionate poets who love to play sports, I've met dancers who draw beautiful pictures. The friends I've made could not be a more diverse group, and yet we are still incredibly close. We respect our differences and learn from each other. 

Living in a dorm has been a journey for me. I'll admit, like many of my peers, I was nervous before I moved in. Will I like my roommate? Will I like the other people on my floor? Will the communal bathrooms be gross? Will I have to eat alone every day? And my fears were washed away quickly when I discovered all the amazing people I got to live with.

Simply being able to walk two feet down the hall to see one of my best friends--that's the best. Any lonely afternoon can be saved by a simple text of "are you in your room?" 

When you live with people you seem to do everything together. You eat together, you study together, you even sleep together (in separate beds of course). Sometimes it can seem overwhelming but the truth is when you're on your own--you miss it.

The first couple weeks of Christmas break are nice. You can sleep in a quiet room, you can eat home cooked meals, you can see your childhood friends. Best of all, you don't have classwork to do. But you can't help but feel lonely. Making plans isn't as easy when you have to drive over to your friends house instead of just knocking on their door. You start to miss the friends you've become so close to.

I love college. The friends I've made throughout my first semester will always be with me. I appreciate every one of them so much and I know they are shaping me into a better, more accepting person.

As the year draws to a close I can only describe my feelings with one word. Gratitude. Thank you to the people who are there for me through thick and thin. I will always be a shoulder to cry on, an ear to talk to, and a hand to hold.

Happy New Year!

Love,
Beth



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)