2017 Highlights

No year has challenged me more than 2017 did. In a lot of ways, this year was rough. But in a lot more ways, this year was fantastic. I made a lot of memories, accomplished projects I was proud of, and experienced more of the world.

Each year I make a point to list out some of my favorite moments from the past 12 months, to remind myself of all the bright spots next time I'm feeling down. I like to share these moments with you, maybe you were a part of them, but even if you weren't, I hope that you had a great year and that 2018 is even greater.

Let's do this. 

January
-Started my first real internship at Blender, felt inspired
-Saw a production of Something Rotten! at the Benedum and met Adam Pascal, the original Roger in Rent, fangirled hardcore
-Became Co-Opinions Editor of the Globe, had a blast

February 
-Experienced the beauty of Raccoon Creek State Park (in all it's icy glory) with Andrew
-Interviewed Israel Centeno, a Venezuelan refugee, for a story and it was the hardest interview I'd ever attempted
-Volunteered with Planned Parenthood for a night while working on another story

March
-Went to New York City with Lindsey and saw Waitress and Miss Saigon, wept at both
-Attended my first political rally on International Women's Day 
-Celebrated The Globe's 50th Anniversary with a killer gala and killer friends

April
-Sang at a Crazy Mocha, my first solo performance in public in almost three years
-Drove eight hours round-trip to attend a 90-minute event for my internship, had a great time considering the circumstances
-Discovered my favorite place in the city, Mellon Park in Shadyside (I fully intend on being married there)

May
-Went on my first international trip to England, Wales, and Scotland with my family, and it changed my life
-Went to Ohiopyle a LOT

June
-Tried Turkish food for the first time and was blown away
-Saw my favorite band, Joseph, from the very first row 
-Went on a stellar trip to Washington D.C. with my friend Emily

July
-Played Slip'n'Slide kickball on the Fourth of July, surprisingly didn't make a gigantic fool of myself
-Visited my relatives in Illinois and experienced all the oddities and beauties of the Midwest in summer
-Went on a spontaneous trip to Erie with Andrew, had a relaxing day at the beach
-Saw Mamma Mia at the Benedum and felt childlike joy

August
-Spent a lot of time hammocking with Andrew in various locations, Linn Run had some fabulous spots
-Visited my Grandma in New York and was able to visit the lake I loved as a child
-Spent time lounging by my pool and listening to as much Simon & Garfunkel as possible

September
-Celebrated National Chocolate Milkshake Day with Hannah
-Turned 20 and celebrated by eating a huge burger and watching Wonder Woman for the 5th time
-Ligonier. Highland. Games.

October
-Enjoyed the beauty of the Frick (for free) with Andrew
-Discovered that oatmeal pie is a gift from the heavens
-Had an amazing trip to Washington D.C. with Vince and got a guided tour of The Washington Post

November
-Experienced the Carnegie Library in Oakland for the first time, haven't been quite the same since
-Visited Hannah in Dormont and baked amazing cookies while watching amazingly-bad Hallmark movies
-Ate 2,000 potatoes on Thanksgiving

December
-Spent a day supporting local businesses through the Handmade Arcade and the Lawrenceville Cookie Tour 
-Won an ugly sweater contest with a Hillary Clinton Christmas sweater that Carrie found for me
-Taylor and I's radio show Vibes won Best Music Show on WPPJ, we were shocked and honored
-Hosted a festive and fancy Christmas party with my roommates, was very proud of everything we did

That's the good stuff, the stuff I want to look back on next year and remember fondly. Life is never all "warm roses and hummingbird kisses" as my dad would say, but usually, it's pretty good.

Happy New Year y'all, and let's seize the day in 2018.

Love,
Beth




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)