Broadway 2 A Day: 1968 - 1971 (I'm in too deep)

Remember when I said last week was light? I had a big storm coming and the 12 shows in this post really took it out of me. Don't get me wrong there were gems buried within, but I don't know what was going on between 1968-1971 but it seems like there were a lot of flops.

Enticed to read on? Let's go. 
  • The Fig Leaves Are Falling
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? Not really
    • Synopsis: The Fig Leaves Are Falling is a musical with a book and lyrics by Allan Sherman and music by Albert Hague. It was inspired by Sherman's 1966 divorce following 21 years of marriage. (Wikipedia)
    • Favorite song: Something Special Know As We
  • Celebration
    • Have I heard of it before? Nope
    • Did I enjoy it? Also no
    • Synopsis: It is New Year's Eve and a young Orphan wanders into the home of the richest man in the world with the goal of convincing him to save the orphanage. Mr. Rich declares that if the orphan boy can help him feel emotion once again, the orphanage will be restored. All is going well until Mr. Rich and the Orphan have to battle over a fallen angel's love. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: I'm Glad To See You've Got What You Want
  • Canterbury Tales
    • Have I heard of it before? Yes, but not the musicalized version (and I wish I still hadn't)
    • Did I enjoy it? Not really, I think this one might be better actually watching it but just listening was painful
    • Synopsis: The story revolves around a group of Englishman on their annual journey to Canterbury. Telling tales along the way, the pilgrims fill the stage with comedy and romance. Various Chaucer tales are retold by the ensemble as the group reaches its destination and gains more insight into the battle between the sexes. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: April Song
  • Dear World
    • Have I heard of it before? Nope
    • Did I enjoy it? Angela Lansbury was good but kind of a meh show
    • Synopsis: Dear World is the story of three "Madwomen" who deviously scheme to stop businessmen who plan to drill for oil in the neighborhood of Chaillot in Paris. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Kiss Her Now
  • 1776
    • Have I heard of it before? Yes, finally a good show. My family watches this every Fourth of July and I did get to see this live a few years ago. It really has great songs.
    • Did I enjoy it? Yes
    • Synopsis: Dear World is the story of three "Madwomen" who deviously scheme to stop businessmen who plan to drill for oil in the neighborhood of Chaillot in Paris. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: It was hard to choose but "Is Anybody There?"
  • Jimmy
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? Surprise surprise, no it was so boring
    • Synopsis: The musical describes the rise and fall of New York City Mayor Jimmy Walker, whose career was marred by corruption. (Wikipedia)
    • Favorite song: The Charmin' Son of A Bitch
  • Coco
    • Have I heard of it before? Nope
    • Did I enjoy it? No, but I think I tried to listen to too many shows in one day
    • Synopsis: Coco was a 1969 Broadway musical with a book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by AndrĂ© Previn, inspired by the life of Coco Chanel. It starred Katharine Hepburn in her only stage musical. (Wikipedia)
  • Purlie
    • Have I heard of it before? Once again, no
    • Did I enjoy it? Not really
    • Synopsis: "Purlie" tells the story of Purlie, a self-taught preacher who returns to his home in the South with the intent of opening an abandoned church and ringing the bell of freedom. The problem is that Ol' Cap'n is holding Purlie's inheritance due to a long-lost cousin. With the help of Ol' Cap'n's son, Charlie, Purlie's manages to outsmart the white haired old-timer to win a victor' for freedom. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: New Fangled Preacher Man (just to hear Cleavon Little)
  • Company
    • Have I heard of it before? YES FINALLY ANOTHER GOOD ONE. Company is one of my favorite shows and some of Sondheim's best shows in my opinion. 
    • Did I enjoy it? Yes, see above. I also highly recommend listening to the 2018 gender-swapped revival (I think it's better than the original)
    • Synopsis: On the night of his 35th birthday, Robert struggles to think of a wish to make as he blows out his birthday candles. The lone bachelor, surrounded by “those good and crazy people” -- his married friends -- Robert is uncertain whether he should simply be happy with his lot or whether he should wish for his own romantic partner. Over a series of dinner parties, first dates, and thoughtful conversations, Robert attempts to understand the pros and cons of marriage from his diverse and frequently hilarious friends,, and begins to make sense of his own persistent bachelorhood. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: All of them, but "Marry Me A Little"
  • The Rothschilds
    • Have I heard of it before? Nope
    • Did I enjoy it? This was sad and boring (I feel bad saying it was boring, see plot below)
    • Synopsis: The story concerns the rags-to-riches story of resourceful and ambitious Mayer Rothschild and his five sons as they overcome anti-Semitism in late eighteenth-century European society and build a wildly successful family banking business. Over time they come to dominate European finance, help fund the defeat of Napoleon, and secure a Declaration of Rights for the Jewish people from the Crowned Heads of State. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: In My Own Lifetime
  • Two By Two
    • Have I heard of it before? No
    • Did I enjoy it? Danny Kaye is great, but no this plot was unhinged
    • Synopsis: Noah was writing the chapters of Genesis when suddenly God spoke to him: There will be a world-destroying flood, and Noah must build an ark to house two of every kind of animal. So begins the story of Two by Two, a retelling of the biblical story of the Great Flood. Naturally, Noah’s family is skeptical of this message; after all, Noah is over 600 years old and couldn’t possibly accomplish this task! His sons Shem and Ham, along with Shem’s wife Leah, argue that Noah should be put away in an asylum. But when God sends a gitka, an ancient species of rodent that sings, the family realizes that Noah is telling the truth. Yet there is still a holdout--Noah’s youngest and favorite son, Japheth, who can’t believe that God would actually destroy the world, and pleads with God to find something, somewhere that he likes. The family banters and battles over marriage, money, and whether or not the ark should have a rudder. Ultimately, God keeps His promises and floods the Earth--but in the end gives Noah a covenant in the form of a rainbow that He’ll never harm the world again. (Stage Agent)
    • Favorite song: Ninety Again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)