All who wander are (probably) lost

Can you be lost if you don't even know where you're going in the first place? I'm not talking physically lost (although I frequently am)--I'm talking mentally lost.

I feel like so many people have these great visions of their lives, and I don't. I go to class, I do my homework, I eat, I sleep. And I do it again and again every day. I'm not unhappy, but recently the uncertainty about my future has been a pressing weight on my mind.

I'm past the halfway point of my first semester of college, and I was really hoping I would have figured something out by now.

All throughout high school I hoped that something would just jump out at me and I would know what to do with my life. I picked a major I thought I might like at a college I loved and decided to hope for the best. And I'm happy--but I'm still lost.

Don't get me wrong, I have some things figured out.

I know that in my life I want to do my best to make the world a better place in whatever way I can. I know that someday I want to have a family. I know that no matter what happens I will find a way to live a good life. These things are certain to me. But ask me what kind of a job I want and I can't even begin to tell you. Ask me why I picked my major and I won't have the answer you're hoping for. Ask me what my career goals are and I won't be have much to say.

And for a long time I felt really bad about that. I felt like I was wasting my time or my energy. But the more people I meet and the more of the world I see, I know I am not alone in my confusion.

It doesn't matter if I know exactly what my dream job is at age 18. The world won't end if I take a different path than the one I started on.

All who wander are lost, so at least we can be lost together.


Love,
Beth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)