Silence (not always golden)

Sometimes I feel like no one's listening to me when I talk.

I sit silently in conversations waiting for the chance to jump in with my stories--and I wait an awfully long time. When someone finally pauses for breath, I go for it, only to be talked over by someone who feels they have something better to say.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm a wallflower or a social pariah. I am very social, I love to talk and share my thoughts with others--when given the chance.

I also love to listen. Have you ever just sat in a public space and listened to the conversations around you? It's fascinating. Being able to listen and soak everything in helps me to control my emotions when I'm rudely brushed aside.

But why does our society seem to value speaking over silence?

It seems like whoever speaks the loudest has the power. So what are the rest of us supposed to do?

They say silence is golden, but being silent is not always a choice.

When I am brushed aside at a party, its annoying but its not going to ruin my life. But what about the people who actually have something to say?

Who is asking the homeless teenager about her day?
Who is working to learn about the working conditions of minimum-wage workers?

Who is the voice for the voiceless?

Circumstance is the greatest silencer of all. When listening to the stories of others becomes a chore--there is a problem.

Have we become so apathetic that we tune out the voices that we don't agree with?

Sometimes I feel like no one's listening to me when I talk.

Imagine how those who are oppressed feel.


Love,
Beth

P.S. I'll step off of my soap-box now...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broadway 2 A Day: 2016 - 2018 (Anastasia, Band's Visit, Spongebob and more)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2014 - 2017 (Hamilton, Waitress, Great Comet, DEH, Come From Away)

Broadway 2 A Day: 2012 - 2014 (Kinky Boots, Bridges of Madison County, Matilda and more)